To Become a Leading, World Class Operational Forecasting Centre and Scientific Institution that Provides Optimum Contribution to Improved Quality of Life
To Facilitate Accessible Meteorological Information and Services and Infusion of Scientific Knowledge to Spur Socio-economic Growth and Development
Functions of the Kenya Meteorological Department
- Provision of meteorological and climatological services to agriculture, forestry, water resources management, civil aviation and the private sector including industry, commerce and public utilities for the better exploitation and utilization of natural resources for national development;
- Provision of meteorological services to shipping in the western Indian Ocean including the issuing of cyclone warnings for the safety of merchant and other ships;
- Provision of meteorological services to military aviation for the safety of the Kenya Air Force aircraft for national defence;
- Organization and administration of surface and upper air meteorological observations within its area of responsibility and the publication of climatological data;
- Maintenance of an efficient telecommunications system for rapid collection and dissemination of meteorological information required for national and international use in accordance with the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) procedures;
- Co-ordination of research in meteorology and climatology including co-operation with other authorities in all aspects of applied meteorological research, and the maintenance of the National Meteorological Library;
- Evolvement of suitable training programmes in all fields of meteorology and other related scientific subjects which are relevant to the development of Kenya and other countries that participate in the Department’s training activities.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.